OPTIONS AFTER YEAR 11
* APPRENTICESHIPS ( Foundation / Advanced / Higher )
* SCHOOL LEAVER PROGRAMME / JOB
* FOUNDATION LEARNING
TO HELP YOU DECIDE WHICH IS THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU-
* RESEARCH YOUR CAREER IDEAS – this helps you understand the different routes available into your chosen career. Some careers have several routes in eg: accountancy so important to research this.
* ASK YOURSELF HOW YOU PREFER TO LEARN? – Are you happy in a classroom & taking exams? Are you practical & prefer hands-on learning? Do you want to ‘earn while you learn?
* KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN – Although you might feel strongly that you want to stay on in the 6th form or do an Apprenticeship it’s important to explore all possible options as there may be a more relevant course or somewhere that might be more suited to your learning style. Be open minded and make sure you explore all the possible routes as this help you to feel confident about the decisions you make.
* NEED HELP CHOOSING? – Still confused or unsure? Then ask your tutor for a careers interview where we can discuss your ideas and help you to choose the best option for you. Alternatively, you can email me at email@example.com
Now take a look at the information on these options – see the drop down bars under this Post 16 Options tab.
RPA – RAISING THE PARTICIPATION AGE
You may or may not have heard of this but from Summer 2013 year 11 pupils will have to continue in some form of education or training until they reach 18. Your options don’t really change and will still be education, Apprenticeships or a job but any job must involve further training and qualifications.
YEAR 11 – WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING & WHEN!
* Exploring career ideas to be sure you understand the entry routes
* Checking college websites for details of courses and open events
* Going along to college and 6th form open days. Some colleges also offer taster days which can be very useful in helping you with your decisions.
* Making applications preferably by Christmas
* Asking your tutor for a careers interview if you feel you need one
* Make college and/or 6th form applications asap!
* Start looking for Apprenticeship opportunities and contact / apply to Training Providers
* Make sure you have a back up plan in place
* Chase up any applications that you haven’t heard back from
* Ask for a careers interview or email me if you have any concerns