Geography

Introduction

Our aim is to provide a high-quality geography education for pupils to inspire a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives.

Field trips offer a chance to put Geography in to practice.

Our teaching aims equip pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.

As pupils progress, their growing knowledge about the world should help them to deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes, and of the formation and use of landscapes and environments.

KS3

The geography curriculum in Years 7 and 8 is based on building fundamental geographical skills and essential knowledge needed to understand and make sense of a complex world.

In Year 7, the topics include map and atlas skills, British geography, British weather and climate, urban environments and the tropical rainforest ecosystem.

In Year 8, the topics include earthquakes and volcanoes, environmental interactions and population, migration and development.

KS4

The GCSE geography curriculum is taught in Years 9-11 and is based on the AQA Geography (9035) specification through four topics and two pieces of controlled assessment.

The GCSE is assessed through two exams in Year 11 worth 75 per cent of the marks and two pieces of controlled assessment worth the remaining 25 per cent of the marks.

In Year 9, pupils study the topic of natural hazards and this includes the study of volcanoes, earthquakes, tropical storms and wildfires. They also study a second topic of tourism including a fieldtrip to the Roman City of Bath.

In Year 10, pupils study the topic of urban environments (cities) including studies of cities in more and less developed countries and their sustainability. This topic also involves a fieldtrip to Salford Quays in Greater Manchester to collect data for a piece of controlled assessment written up in Year 10.

In Year 11, pupils study the topic of coastal environments including studies of coastal landscapes and their conservation and protection.

A Level

At A Level, pupils study the AQA geography specification studying four topics in Year 12 and three in Year 13 together with develop a range of cartographic, graphical and statistical skills.

In Year 12, pupils study two physical geographical topics of river and coastal environments and two human geographical topics of population and energy in order to sit the Unit 1 exam. Pupils also take part in river fieldwork and learn practical skills in order to sit the Unit 2 skills exam.

In Year 13, pupils study two physical geographical topics of plate tectonics, volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis and ecosystems together with one human geographical topic on world cities in order to sit the Unit 3 exam. Pupils also take part in fieldwork in Sutton Park in order to sit the Unit 4A skills exam.

Extra Curricular

Geography fieldtrips and fieldwork are an important part of a young person’s geographical education and they include a visit to the City of Bath in Year 9, a visit to Salford Quays in Greater Manchester in Year 10 and a visit to the Weston-super-Mare coastal environment in Year 11.

In Year 12 and 13, fieldtrips include visits to the River Churn in Gloucestershire, and visits to London and Sutton Park.

Residential geographical trips in Years 12 and 13 have also been organised to the Dorset coast and the Lake District.

Geography Blog

Geography Quiz Winners (6/24/2015)

GeographyOn 24th June 2015 Jamie Samways, Lewis Smith and Niall Fenlon won the Worldwise quiz competition so please congratulate them. This is the second one to ever take place in Birmingham so they have done really well. The following pupils were also involved: Isabella Hetherington, Kate Horton, Natalie Andrews, Lewis Dowling, Oliver Young, Daniel Meehan, James Davis and Luke Flaherty.

A massive thank you to Dom Cotter, Ellie Samways, Zantelle Madden and Brandon Ivey for helping to set up and run the quiz.